Friday, January 8, 2010

The Elusive Roadrunner

I have been trying to get a picture of a roadrunner since we were in Texas last march. Every time I tried to get one of these little critter in focus, they would quickly run just as I snapped the camera. All I would get was picture of the bird's tail. Well finally, almost one year later, I got the shot I wanted while walking the dogs on a trail in the desert. Roadrunners have a head crest that opens when they run - I'd hope to get a picture of that some day.



FYI-These birds are so quick on their feet they are one of the few animals that prey upon rattlesnakes. Using it's wings like a madador's cape, it snaps up a coiled rattlesnake by the tail, cracks it like a whip, repeately slams it's head against the ground until it's dead. It then swallows its prey whole. Even if it can't consume the entire length at once it goes about its business with the snake dangling out of its mouth as it slowly digests.

No comments:

Post a Comment